After writing up and binding a draft Basic manual for myself, it was time to get to work on the C64 Basic converter that was discussed earlier. I decided I was going to use the Editor function to work on it, and try documenting what I could of the control-key sequences while I was there, but I quickly ran into problems. These are a few of the things I've found so far:
- The editor bogged down massively after only about 3/4 of a single screen. The lag is so incredible bad it's unusable.
- Backspacing sometimes forgets to clear the characters behind itself.\
- There are a number of unsupported Control-key combinations that are unsupported which flash the word beep! on the screen. Some times/combination will cause the text to stay on the screen.
- Ctrl-Q does something odd, I'm not sure what, but playing with it's frequently caused the editor to crash and do the same 8-bit engine sound it did when it was broken a couple revisions ago.
As a personal note, one of the things I found a bit disconcerting about the editor is that it's entirely separated from the basic program space outside it. It's essentially a just simple text editor. I had initially assumed that, somewhat like the Maximite machines, that I would be editing the active Basic program, so I could load it, edit it, and the go back out and run and test the changes.
I updated from 382 to 384 but that didn't make any difference, so may look at the source to see if I can recognize where the slow down might be coming from... it shouldn't be that slow with just a dozen or so line of code... but my initial guess, from how it's acting, is that it appears like it's refreshing/updating something every time a key is pressed, and the the key scan procedure is preemptive and is interrupting the printing/clearing of characters on the screen.