Dmian Thank you for the reply and my apologies for the long delay. I have a defibrillator & pacemaker implanted in my chest and have had some issues with it of late - I think things are ironed out.....for now 🙂
My goals are extremely simple 🙂 I just need to be able to create some simple sprites and tiles, kind of pixel art style. I will just be using an inbuilt 256 color palette. Just this evening I finally got my portable BE OPI out and laid out a color swatch on the right hand side, with the color numbers (0-255) to the left of the 8x1 pixel rectangle of each color (using an 800x600 resolution). A mock up was put on the lower left hand side of a 1x, 2x, and 3x scale of the sprite, so as to give an idea of what it might look like at different resolutions (I keep gravitating towards the 480x272 and 640x256 modes). For now it is basically: fill in the virtual graph paper by choosing the color # required, saving that sprite, repeat, or quit 🙂
The end goal is to make a port of Star Raiders, of Atari 8 bit fame, for the BASIC Engine. I've got a rough version running on the original Color Maximite, and have thought of just coding up something simple to parse the sprites I developed for that version and writing them out for the BASIC Engine, but they are extremely simple (mostly monochromatic, with some having another color or two - since the original CM only displays 8 colors). So, a simple BASIC Engine tool is needed 🙂 Zylon Fighters, Zylon Cruisers, Zylon Battlestars, and some of my own additions are waiting to be drawn out pixel by pixel, just so that I can blow them up 🙂
I see below that Uli has added mouse support, so I need to play with those controls on Sunday!